Sunday, September 27, 2015

What about a little color?

Hey there sports fans, Al here with the latest:
What about a little color to the work?
Interesting question.  How as an artist do I add this to the work that I already do that is in black and white.
How do I go about it.
And more over, should I do it?



 A few examples from over the years adding color to the comic book work firstly and then adding some color to the commission poster pieces and my illustrative character designs with scratchboard.

Firstly was my attempt with color on the Ghost Assassin/ Johnny Vega crossover, Circa 2010. Full color Digital Illustration.  This short cross over with Adam Watson of Darkslinger Comics was the last time I would apply full digital color to my works. It was just to damn time consuming for the little amount of time I had to give these comics the work they deserved. Though the finished product was awesome in it's mini comic book form.
The next example is from Page 4 of Johnny Vega, Man of the Future. It was this issue that was bringing me back to the reason why I had wanted to make comics in the first place. The use of pen and ink illustration with color! This wouldn't be the last foray into the pen and ink with color as there would be there be one more printed up book of Corrax the Seeker one shot that would be produced but there were serious challenges that kept coming up on how to keep making money to support the work?

There wasn't.

So I began to focus on the scratchboard work and strictly the black and white illustration. But at the same time I had also started playing around with the use of white markers on black bristol paper to make quick and dirty b&w comics and adding a digital color underlay to the covers to entice reader to pick up the books.
This really come in when designing the Corpse Cop books for the next couple of years.


 Now I have in the past played with color with my artwork specifically my comic illustration but never really adapting it to my scratchboard work. It just seemed to be such a hard ideal to think of.
With black and white (and all the variations of grey) woiuld color really help out or would it really detract from what I was trying to show? Color! Whoa, hold on now! That's a whole different kind of weirdness for this kid.
But now after a failed commission for a scratchboard piece I decide to see it I could apply my art store know how and my artsitic skills as a air brush guy to the test by making a scratchboard with color that could etched out with my xacto without having to add digital color to the work and present a finished color piece of work that would be striking.
 "Green Depth" is what I was able to come up with. Of course Richard Parker is involved in this little exploit but this also appeals to the Lovecraftian sorts out there because of the color and tentacles!
Now onto other projects that require my attention.

BUT TO THE QUESTION IS SHOULD I ADD COLOR TO THE WORK?

I think that I really do need to add this to my medium. Not all at once but sporadically over time. Scratchboard has done very well for me over the years and I have known that quick changes to one's artwork always seems to throw people when looking at it so I will add a little more color to the work as I go. Adding that extra to the work, I hope, will bring more viewers to look at what the medium has to offer.
And as always there are places for you to check out as well.
Etsy





And of course I still have my comics that I have worked on here at Indyplanet.

And mind you there is website
and the facebook page 

The Website also has some new stuff added for the comic books featuring Corpse Cop.




 And with that this kid is outta of here I got work to do. 

 
 And that's it for the kid for now and I am outta of here.


posted from Bloggeroid



No comments:

Post a Comment