Tuesday, September 22, 2015

When it rains, it pours- a lot

Hey there sports fans, Al here with the latest;
Well the DIVE IN! Art Show has been officially underway for the last week and has boosted the ego of said creator (moi) greatly because you never know what the turn out is going to be like. Well as I have already mentioned in last week's blog it was awesome!
So many people showed up it was great. I feel kinda of bad because I couldn't spend as much quality time with every one like I would like to but that what happens when you have your own opening.

But now it also comes with a all different kind of price tag - commissions!
It was so funny that two weeks ago I had (with some help) hung the DIVE IN! show and had taken off for a small vacation/business trip for an art opening up in Port Townsend WA
Port Townsend Washington.
for Beth Kerschen.
That was a great trip and she sold her one piece as well as getting a juror's choice for it.
But along the way I received an email about doing a Lovecraft themed image.
I am still re-reading that story and getting inspiration for the drawings that are to come.
Now just as my show was going on I'm being hit up friends of mine for two separate paying gigs for illustration and I still have two other commissions to work on as well.
Damn! The boy be busy!
The Jersey Devil by Jason McKittrick
Now there are other illustrations to do and one of them really caught my attention. When doing research for a new series of work occasionally you will come across something that is not what you expected to find at all. Case in point I was looking up illustrations on the Jersey Devil for apart of a series of Cryptids. And found this -
,


  This is just an awesome piece of strange weirdness - like I like. It set up a whole of different ideas for a series of multi headed bird humaniods for different types of fiction suits.
If you haven't heard me mention it before there is probably a good reason for it. Being a fan of most of Grant Morrison's work with the Doom Patrol and the Invisibles and Seven Soldiers. I equally read his work on Flex Mentallo which his idea of a "suit" could be mentally/spiritually constructed to represent different ideal versions of yourself OR project versions of yourself.  This is all part of Morrison's use of Chaos Magic. Really, it's how and what you want to project yourself to other people around you. 
This image that I came across of the Jersey Devil just rung the ol' bell and said you should do something with that. It took me some time to track this image down again but I think I finally found it!
So the pencil is setting to paper and soon to transfers and the like for later in the year work.

IN THE MEETING ....
(Of a friend who was going to be leaving town here in the next month for the east coast and getting married) I was introduced to a woman who was asking the question "So are you an artist?"  
And of course I imedately jumped in and said "Yes, I am. I'm a comicbook illustrator."
Off to my right was another friend artist named Tara who gave me a slight rumpled brow. Wondering what she meant I gave her a questioning look and said "What?"
She responded "You should just say "Illustrator."
I turned back to the woman asking the question "Pardon me, Illustrator." and then we laughed.
But I thought about it a lot after that night it's the perception of the artist of themselves which is as important as much as the presentation of the artwork being shown.
Again it's like your interviewing for a job. You want and need to make the best impression possible. Nothing wrong with being a comic illustrator but again you are dealing with peoples personal impression of you, the artist.
Tara was just telling me something that my girlfriend had already been doing on my behalf and I hadn't realized it until that night. To be taken seriously showing art in a gallery forum it's perception of the artist representing themselves clearly defined for anyone to see.
So next time it's just straight illustrator.

And for anything else that pertains to the box check out these sites as well.
Etsy






And of course I still have my comics that I have worked on here at Indyplanet.

And mind you there is website
and the facebook page 

The Website also has some new stuff added for the comic books featuring Corpse Cop.




 And with that this kid is outta of here I got work to do. 

 
 And that's it for the kid for now and I am outta of here.


posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment