Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Aftermath 2012

Hey there sports fans,  Al here with the latest: 
My typical Breakfast in Seattle

Emerald City ComiCon of 2012 is finally over and here is my personal pros and cons of this massive event starting this with the the first pro.
The Crowd the Second Morning
The Attendance was off the hook!  I'm not kidding about this .  I believe that Saturday's attendance was nearly the same for the entire event last year.  That may be an exaggeration but sure was full of people. I think that everyone in the booth would agree with that assessment.
The con of the crowd was that there was such a throng of people walkin' by it made it hard for anyone to stop by table with out causing a small traffic snarl.  Watching them  come and go was kinda like watching a tide.
The Awaiting the Onslaught

Pro #2 of the show- The first complements that we all received in the booth on the art was awesome.  That stuff always goes a long way for anybody.
Frank Lives- kinda.
Con #2 now strictly speaking for myself I think the scratchboard material kinda scares people off.  The stark black n white of work when you are constantly being bombarded with bright color at every turn your not sure what your looking at.  You know in your head that's it some comic related material but not sure of whether  you should touch it.   I saw quite a few people who seemed hesitant to pick the Scratch Pad art book or the individual 5"x7" scratchboards.  I would even venture to say that some people might even think of the work as a novelty.  A flash in the pan.
Blast them I say!  
Pro #3 The enthusiasm of the people who stopped by was infectious.  The sales that did happen  stopped others to see what was so cool about the work.  This amounted to several sketches being done to go along with our appreciation of the fans who bought the work.  Thanks to those folks.
A Silent Hill Nurse creepy!

The Planetary Express Crew + Hypno Toad and Bets.
Con #3 Being the con's GPS.  Now some people may not  have a problem with this but due such high traffic but  people seem to forgotten how to read their program floor maps.  I know it means comes with the territory but I think we got hit several times about "do you know where blankity blank blank is?"    So maybe there should be a comic info  booth there in up to the front manned  by the minions there.  Just an idea.
Pro #4 
The costumes were awesome.  There were some grisly awesome pieces of work there at the show.  
Con #4 
The costumes.  So awesome were these works of art that it stopped up traffic cruising by.  The consensus was please people find a place for photos to be taken elsewhere.
So with things being tied would I go back?
The answer to that is hell yes I would. 
I love the medium and want to support it in my way.  Knowing what sold I think I have a better idea of what to bring with me to sell at the show. 
  I have heard that there were  a few people who had some negative comments about the show but here is a link to the ECCC facebook page about what I felt about the show and maybe shead some light on those naysayers.   
 And that is it for the kid! 

No comments:

Post a Comment