Thursday, July 30, 2015

Richard Parker the Great and Powerful

Hey there sport fans, Al here with the latest:

Well good ol' Richard Parker begins to move into a new phase as the the "DIVE IN!" art show (at N.W.I.P.A.) gets closer and closer to show time.
I am extremely excited about this show because there is something different about the look and feel of this visual narrative.
It is unlikely most of the illustrations that I had developed for Corrax the Seeker
and Johnny Vega.
Those were my spring boards into Richard Parker and the story around him.
And IT, the story around Richard Parker, also sets up the visual graphic novel of "Dreams of Elysium" down the road.
Truth is my illustrations have always been much better received and far out weigh my writing and story telling ability like a thousand to one.
I've always known this and most of my friends who have seen the work have known this as well so I decided to try something new. And this really goes back to something I read about Will Eisner talking about illustration and sequential story telling. The art has to really carry the reader through the words are secondary. I think that a lot of writers might not agree with that but the visual of comic books is what draws the reader into the books.  Egos not withstanding.

Funny thing is now as the show begins to move towards hanging comes the preparation of other things and in my case artist statements and artists bios.
   I used to think that they were one and the same but they are not as I have found out recently.
An Artist's Bio is exactly that: it covers an artist's education, training, style and medium.
The Artist's Statement (or in my case Series Statement for Richard Parker) what inspired the work and the visual narrative being presented.
Also keeping it straight and to the point. In a way it's kinda like a comic book story pitch at a show when someone comes and asks you what your book and character is about.
Like "What's Corrax the Seeker? What's he seeking?"
"He's seeking vengance for the genoside of his race."
OR
"What's Johnny Vega about?"
"He's a combination of John Sheraden of B5 and Flash Gordon."
Of course this reference to comics but the same general principal can be applied to an art show statement.
Short and sweet and gets the point across to others what the art show is about  

So this weekend I should be picking up backing boards and mats for my pieces of artwork for the show and have that ready to go as well.

ON TOP OF THAT.....
not only do I have to come up with a series statement but I also have tie down a few loose ends with Bonanza for selling work and look into both distributors for carrying the prints or postcards as well as looking at teespring.com for selling t-shirts of Richard Parker and Last Monster on EARTH!.

SOUNDS like a lot of stuff and it is but to get this ball rolling I have to master a bunch of things that surround the idea of making money at my craft and be happy about it. 
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment