Wednesday, November 11, 2015

There are some things coming up

Hey there sports fans, Al here with the latest,

I had a interesting eye opening day this weekend. This was after a couple of days after my solo show came down.

It reads..
"Chris Haberman
Hi All: 

Just wanted to send a special note...IF you were able to pickup Saturday, you may have been informed that you are able to take MORE than 10 panels...IF you did, awesome, if not, super great, but wanted to make sure you knew this is an OPTION. 

This comes from the fact that we were planning on doing The Big 100 this year...an elite form of the show, back to its roots...and this special list we have for this year is just that, The Big 500 Elite, which is what we are calling the folks that are invited to do more than 10 panels. Which is YOU. 

IF you like, you are approved to take 10-20 panels for the show.  This is based off your "amazing" sales record (like folks begging that you had more panels), super star status, commitment to the arts, amazing work and just your basic awesomeness in being part of this show - or really just all of the above!!  Some of you have been with the show for 8 years, since its origin...SO a special thank you for being here the whole time!!!

SO>..if you are still picking up panels, notice there is a star by your name....and you are invited to do more than 10.  That can be 12, 15, 17, 20, up to you..... IF not, OK too...but if you change your mind, you are welcome to do more, or pick up more if you finish the others, or whatever you want to do.....JUST know that the offer is there.  Panels are available at the gallery, OPEN Thurs-Sunday, NOON-6pm.   

Thanks again for being part of this show....your work is definitely the solid backbone that keeps this going, keeps the crowds coming and really excels the level of work which has given this show a special quality of diversity, integrity and excellence. 


Thank you always. This is definitely our best year yet, thank you for your involvement. 

Special hugs. "

FOR me that was kinda cool, considering that I have been putting myself under pressure to crank out great new work for people to look at and buy. I still have yet to hit that niche market that there could be a steady income coming in but I haven't hit it - yet.

MY biggest hold up for art hitting that market is myself. AS some others have pointed out to me I'm not thinking big enough for the work to get out there I am still stuck (kinda) like a big fish in a small pool mentality. There is a way for me to make more money while doing less work and I have yet to find that balancing point for myself just yet But I've got a feeling that it isn't to far off.



When you gotten used to successful shows in the past the question you have to ask yourself is how really successful was it? Is it because you sold everything you worked on but you have nothing like residual sales to support you as you make more original work.
And on top of that you have found that you attention to detail and mastery of technique have really outgrown the cost of what you were charging.

So what do you do?

Firstly you scan everything at a high resolution and make several copies of the work. And if you have a cloud of some kind save it there to. But watch out for cloudminers!

So now instead of constantly making and giving away work you can charge a higher price for original work and sell matted prints at the cost when you first stated selling art.

PLUS now you have copies and scans that you can manipulate for online sales for a fraction of the cost of the original.
I had been thinking only of art shows here in PDX not the the whole Nation and really potentially World wide.

That's changing.

With all the new on line sites that show case artwork for free like Storenvy and Big Cartel and of course Etsy with a little bit of cash you can get your stuff out there.

But there still is that nagging issue of the niche. Where do I fit? I'm still looking for that.

BUT ONTO THE NEXT BIG THING - EUCON 2015!
This should be a interesting time for me personally. Keep in mind that this show is taking place in my old home town of Eugene Oregon.  Now I don't know about you but heading back home is a bitter sweet thing. Years ago I had. Reached my wits end trying  to make it as an artist. Problem in Eugene is that it is filled with tons of talented artists that can't afford each others work and trades (as cool as they are) don't pay the bills. So like any artist I moved. It took years of pestering and nagging of friends and family to move forward. I did and haven't looked back since. I'm not going back because of family, I'm going because a friend of mine asked me too.
This is his show and I thought it would be cool to show off a little back to my friends who still live there.
Prints and the scratchboard has come into its own for me and it would be cool to show people my new work to a bunch of new viewers. I'm looking forward to it.

SETS O' PRINTS

This is one of those things that I have been recently exposed to. The prints have proven that they do well for me so how do I expose others to more of my work? As it turns out on Etsy there has been a move of showcasing people's art work by reducing the size of the print (like the 8.5" x11" and reduce the physical size to 4" x6" size) and packaging a small number of them in a group if four to six images.
To me this it seems to be reminiscent of
Old trading cards but still maintaining quality of image and keeping its value.
They are not postcards however.

THERE IS ALSO...


T-Shirts!
Some of the Current shirt selection

The TeePublic Banner for BBVA.
 Yes, there are T-shirts Virginia and you can buy them at TeePubic.com https://www.teepublic.com/user/blackboxman

It just seemed to me that I needed to stretch myself with different ways of getting my work out there and as  I was going through Facebook I saw the add and thought to take a look. I liked what I saw. The return isn't as great back to the artist but it does give a platform for you to show your work.

There are 7 types in stock currently but I am looking to increase this number with a few more color bits as well. But Black and White is always the way it will work for me.

And as always there are places for you to check out as well.
Etsy





And of course I still have my comics that I have worked on here at Indyplanet.

And mind you there is website
and the facebook page 

The Website also has some new stuff added for the comic books featuring Corpse Cop.




 And with that this kid is outta of here I got work to do. 

 
 And that's it for the kid for now and I am outta of here.


posted from Bloggeroid



posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment