Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy 2014

So there sports fans, All here with the latest:
So here I thought that I wasn't really looking to post anything this week for the way Christmas and New Year's kinda fell in the middle of the week so I wasn't expecting any kind of contact with anyone except my roommates.
Well through half of New Year's Day I received an email from the Gallery out in North East Portland. 
They had told me that they had been contacted by my friend Joey from the Slingshot Lounge telling them that I had a. body of work ready to go. 
Of course I got super excited but then realized that I couldn't do it because of the timing between it and the N.W.I.P.A. show in Mid February. 

Copyright 2014 The Re-scrubs

So like that resume being turning in and already been hired I had to turn them down.
Not necessarily a bad thing.  But I would like to get out there.
Any show in my opinion is a good thing. whether or not it's a big show or a little one. 
But in this case it's fine.


COMMISSIONS:  THE RE-SCRUBS are now completed.  Yea!
But again like it always does there is the N.W.I.P.A. Triple I.P.A. fest poster that I have to work on as well.

"Down with the Weirdness" 16"x20" scratchboard
Copyright BBVA and Alan Bennett
ALSO  in the new year I ran into my friend Matt, who is going to work on the t-shirts with BigFoot on them,  recently.  When the money comes in from the commissions I will just roll that over to cover the cost of the t-shirts.  

ALSO IN THE MAKING....
Since last year ended with with successful sales of artwork I had to think and turn around
NWIPA PENCIL DRAWING
NWIAP MARKER DESIGN

Day 1 of N.W.I.P.A POSTER
11"x 14" scratchboard 2014
Copyright NWIPA

to get other work started up so I could keep a decent inventory of artwork alreeady framed and would be ready to show at a drop of a hat.  The Northeast gig at the Know Lounge would have almost perfect except for the timing issue.


ALAN'S SOAP BOX
I am finding it more uncomfortable with places of recent times at the lack of professionalism when it comes to shows.  Not comic book shows- I know there will always be problems with those.  The Pros adn cons of Comicons.
Now this maybe a personal bitch so if you don't wanta read this then skip it otherwise here it comes, the Hammer of the Gods.  No not really, I just wanted to write that because it looked cool on the computer monitor.
No, the biggest problem I have is exactly is the issue with art galleries and their planning.  I am not saying that all have this problem but I do find it troublesome when you the artist are contacted to do a show because they (the place) doesn't have something already to show. 
Now I realize that some of these places aren't set up for art really, more like a lounge than anything else so the thinking is always scrabling to get something up to fill in spaces on a blank wall and if you're lucky becuase the work is good and people like it  you'll get  a cut for selling the work there.
Here is to you business owners- thanks.  To me, that just screams of poor planning and execution and getting screwed at the same time.  
This topic did made me ask a  few questions of an artist friend of mine what they thought of that.
Of course I was also being a bit snarky about it  though when I was askiing the question.

 Friend- "Yeah, one of  those "play it by ear" things.  Places that don't communicate well really annoy me. And there are plenty of places that are bad!"

Me-" God, isn't that the truth" "Isn't there one (gallery) that is ran by someone who knows how to run that side of a bussiness and not be a total fool about it?  Sorry, being snarky about people who have a business and who haven't got a clue how to run something."

Friend- " It really is amazing how many people really don't run a business well.  I guess that is why so many go bankrupt, but... also shockingly how many make it.  "

Now of course  I don't have to go very far to point a finger at myself thinking that I have all the answers.  Far from it, when you are working two jobs with only real day off to work on artwork but if a business is promoting itself  and making money legit then there needs to be some accountably.
Plan in advance, clearly state what is expected of you the participating artist(s) and what is expected of you the gallery/lounge/cafe in promotion and advertising (if any)  AND reasonible times for set up and taking down of work.  In that case I have seen artwork being manhandled like it was goning through a baggage claim service with little or zero intention of care.  Just get it in and down and out.  
In short, again I am not saying that this is true of everybody out there but there seems to be just enough people out there that can hurt an artist's chance of showcasing their work to the best of their ablity because of poor lack of organization.
'Nuff said about this.

And the kid is out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment