Sunday, December 30, 2012

A YEAR IN REVIEW -2012



Hey there sports fans Al here with the latest:

And with that lets take a look back at
A YEAR IN REVIEW -2012:
Kicking off the new year starts with a look back and the high lights of year.

CORRAX THE SEEKER NEWS:
A year of regrouping traditional comic illustration and coloring and up from the ashes of Johnny Vega 1-4 sprang Corrax the Seeker.
Johnny has had his last real adventure with Jason Pott's character Jonny Morbid in Weird Atomic Tales crossover.  The failure of any kind of fanfare from this last book kinda put a nail in the creative coffin - figuratively speaking of course.
I have been wanting for a while to work on Johnny's sidekick and at the beginning of the Emerald City ComiCon show of last year so I started working on a solo project with Corrax in it.  And to me it has been some of the best consistent comic work I have ever done.  I'm real proud about that.
After the current story arc is finished we'll see how I feel about another Corrax book, but there is one in the works.

DREAMS OF ELYSIUM:
Talk about this project has been on going for nearly four years.  It has changed a lot in that time.   It started out as special project but what kickstarted back into high gear by a conversation about my writing and the use and the lack of dialogue and narration to drive a story.
ALSO working on large panels of scratchboard could really open up the detail for this kinda story sequential story telling in the  panels) and since it takes a silent approach and lets the readers own mind fill in the, it also avails itself for international distribution.  Something I hadn't even thought of.
New territory for me to explore.  And that makes this venture very exciting!

GALLERY SHOWS:
This last year had been a little lax in the number of shows that I had been asked to participate in unlike the year before.   But the ones that I have been in have much more  high profile galleries here in Portland and much closer to having that one man show I have been working towards.
The first was...
 The PORTLAND LOVE SHOW -LOVE IN A CLOUD.
Unlike last year I had already been working on this show before I got the invite.
BUT THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE was the fact that this invite had me having to show work in a digital forum.  In all honesty,  it seemed a little iffy to be showing original work that way. But as a concerned artist my fears were alleviated by Ben Pink.   He had been doing it for years.
The several months after that had no contact from anyone for "the 88 Strong show" or "I think, therefore I am show".
My first feeling was that I pissed somebody off down the road.
This was not the case at all as I found that I was not the only one to receive an email about these shows.
Then from out of nowhere the same organizers suddenly asked me to participate in the...
 FANFARE SHOW with three pieces that I had worked on early during the summer.  FanFare show turned out to be a great time as I found one of my larger pieces right at the front door entrance.  This show really played to my strength as fantasy/sci-fi illustrator.  Nice change of pace compared to last years Portland Love Show having a piece placed downstairs and behind a door.  But being in this show after the birthday began to heat things up for more shows.
Then there was NEW BROW show later in the year.   This was to me a "just fill in the blanks" kinda show but luckily I just happened to have a piece that would work for them.
As it turned out this was the high profile show I was hoping for on the west side.
Immediately after was the invite for the BIG 300.  This show has always been very successful for me and this year was no disappointment either.  I can't really say any more than I will always be part of this show if I am able.

COMIC SHOWS:
Now comic shows are always a grab bag when comes to sales.  Some of other fellow indipenants have the same issue- you just never know.
The first of year was Emerald City ComiCon.
  Last year had been very cool with Corpse Cop.   AND the mono smack down book of Werid Atomic Tales was done and ready to sell.  It didn't, not really.  So that was kinda a bummer for me because I had put all of this hard work into it. I STILL think it rocks!
Then there was Stumptown Comic Festival.
  Unfortunately there was then need to leave for a wedding so there you go.  So there was no way to tell how people did at the show.
Next on the list was the Rose City ComiCon.
  This was a successful show for all concerned.  Vastly different than say Stumptown.   Funny concidering that Stumptown was just at the same place two years before.
As I have said before this was a great show maybe a little cramped for space but worth while.   Sales did well for NEOtrash Comix at the table but not as well for myself as I would have hoped for.
But I still had a great time.
THE JET CITY SHOW turned out this year to be the best comic show I had been too.  But sales of original art work far over shadowed any of the sales with the comics.  This had confirmed that I needed to shift my attention to the art work rather than the comics being produced.  At least thats the way it to you comes across to me.

Godzilla Strikes Again 2012 Toby Person Collection
Anne Frankenstein Copyright 2012
Lazy Bones Studios
N.W.I.P.A Christmas Commission 2012
COMMISSIONS:
Now this was a really interesting situation for me this year.  As I completed one work another suddenly would pop up.  In the list there were five completed this year and one on the way.
The 11"x14"scratchboard Godzilla Strikes Again.
Anne Frankenstein 11"x14" scratchboards for Lazy Bones Studios.
Godzilla Ammo Works illustration for a patch.
Bastet scratchboard piece for an altar.

And the N.W.I.P.A. Christmas ornament tree topper installation.
And that's about it.

HOWEVER I NEEDED TO ADD....
I do commissions depending size, complexity of the piece, varnished and framed.  Usually half down half on completion of project.  Payments are through PayPal.  Email me at blackboxcomix@yahoo.com and we will work out the details.

AND...
Old blog for Black Box Comix entries can be found here at http://blackboxcomix.blogspot.com/
I know strange but the identity theft that I experienced last year warranted a new blog presence.
And this kid is outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment